Thursday, September 10, 2009

Mexico: one building complete




I just got back from a 7 day trip to Oaxaca, Mexico, which was a medical/construction trip dedicated to serving a ministry called "Armonia" which is where I took a team 2 summers ago to work on the foundation of the building shown. I was very excited to see it completed and I am sure my students would be excited to see it as well. Armonia is a ministry to the poor of Mexico, which has had a great influence on my understanding of how to care for the poor as well as my desire to build community here in Titusville.

The building shown houses 48 high school students of indigenous indians of different tribes within Mexico. You may not know that Mexico is the most diverse country in the world, with over 340 different languages spoken outside of Spanish. With that comes severe discrimination of the indians within their own country. Armonia's goal is to offer these students a chance to be able to go to high school and onto college as well, with the goal of changing their culture from the inside out. It is very exciting redemptive work and we are glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment